Staying safe during the COVID-19 pandemic means practicing social distancing, but being stuck at home may make you wonder how to spend all the newfound, unexpected free time.
If you’ve already rewatched your favorite TV show or devoured all your snacks, it’s time to start getting creative. Maybe you even want to stay in to save some money. To beat boredom, try filling your time with entertaining, productive, or even relaxing hobbies — these are the times where a list of things to do comes in handy!
Take this time to slow down and take a break from your busy life. Whether you’re at home with your significant other, friends, kids, or even by yourself, here is a list of fun things to do at home that’s easy on the wallets.
Use these links to jump to a specific section:
Fun Things for Couples to Do at Home
There are many things to do as a couple when you’re stuck at home or just prefer a night in. Whether you want to cook together or watch your favorite movies, take this time to really enjoy one another’s company.
- Have a picnic on your patio or living room floor.
- Try out a new recipe together.
- Dress up for a candlelit dinner at home.
- Make a bucket list of travel destinations to visit in the future.
- Play a game, like Finish My Sentences.
- Pretend you’re at the theater and stream a play online.
- Take turns watching each other’s favorite movies.
- Roast marshmallows by the fireplace or over the kitchen stove.
- Treat yourselves to DIY couples massages.
- Create a couple’s exercise routine to stay fit.
- Plan a themed date based on cuisines, like taco and margarita night.
- Write each other cheesy love notes.
- Switch off making each other breakfast in bed.
- Play video games together.
- Set up a virtual double date with your close friends.
Play a romantic game of Finish My Sentence with your S.O. by clicking the button above!
Fun Things to Do With Friends at Home
From hosting a wine night to planning a group workout, here are some ideas to change things up while you’re hanging out with your quarantine friends at home.
- Create a playlist and throw a dance party.
- Take a virtual tour together of a haunted house, like the Winchester Mystery House.
- Host a movie night and act like professional movie critics.
- Get sweaty with a virtual group workout.
- Host a wine night and try wines from all over the world.
- Rewatch sports games.
- Create TikTok videos.
- Organize a talent show.
- Play Truth or Dare.
- Make up a drinking game to play along with a TV show or movie.
- Plan a trivia night.
- Have a casino night and play shot roulette and blackjack.
- Set up an indoor mini-golf course.
- Play a card game like Uno or Solitaire.
- Host a paint night.
- Bust out that karaoke machine and have a sing-off.
- Coordinate a murder mystery party.
- Support your local restaurant and order food for delivery.
- Host a potluck dinner.
Movie buffs rejoice! Bring out your inner pro movie critic with this fun printable. Click the button above to download it.
Fun Things to Do With Kids at Home
Entertaining your kids at home can be a challenge. With this list, you’ll find something that they’ll love and will keep them occupied!
- Bring out the board games, like Monopoly.
- Play hide and seek.
- Try out new crafts like homemade slime or paint by numbers.
- Tie-dye some old t-shirts.
- Create a family tree.
- Set up a tent and camp in the living room.
- Make a scavenger hunt with things around the house.
- Build a living room fort, or try a fort made of cardboard.
- Virtually visit animals like penguins at Edinburgh Zoo.
- Create educational flash cards.
- Play dress up and do makeovers.
- Play “I Spy” with things around the house or outside.
- Combine science and fun with easy-to-make paper airplanes.
- Make some homemade play-dough.
- Host a tea party with your kids’ toys as guests.
- Order delivery and have a pizza party.
- Make a city out of Legos.
- Stream an online drawing session for kids, like Mo Willems Lunch Doodles.
- Get creative and make jewelry out of household items, like pasta.
- Take out instruments and plan an at-home concert.
- Make a sticker book.
Click the button above to download and print this easy paper airplane template!
Fun Things to Do By Yourself at Home
This is the time to catch up on things you haven’t gotten to in a while, reconnect with yourself, or pick up a new hobby. Check out these fun things to do by yourself at home.
- Read and finish that book you started.
- Take a hot bath.
- Pamper yourself with a DIY mani-pedi.
- Stay on top of your mental health.
- Teach your pet some cool tricks.
- Practice yoga.
- Go through and sort the old clothes in your closet.
- Finish a 1,000-piece puzzle.
- Calm down with meditation.
- Donate to a charity or volunteer online.
- Start a blog or even a vlog.
- Create a list of goals you want to achieve.
- Learn how to press flowers.
- Bake your favorite dessert.
- Color or draw something.
- Paint a picture.
- Clean up your email inbox.
- Listen to a new podcast.
- Knit a comfy blanket.
- Redecorate and clean your space.
- Learn a new language.
- Take advantage of online shopping deals.
- Binge-watch your favorite movies.
- Get handy with your tools and finish home improvement tasks.
- Take a long nap.
Be sure to keep up with your mental and emotional health using this printable tracker. Click the button above to download it.
Ideas for Staying Connected Virtually
Thanks to modern technology, we’re able to stay connected with our loved ones and the world virtually. This makes it so easy to stay in touch with those who live far away!
- Host a virtual happy hour with coworkers or friends.
- Stay on top of your health and stream a live workout video.
- Grab your computer and watch a live virtual concert.
- Connect with friends and family on FaceTime.
- Watch an online music lesson.
- Take an Instagram baking class.
- Plan a virtual coffee date with a friend.
- Host a trivia night over a video call.
- Play online games and quizzes with friends.
- Start an online book club.
- Take a trip to a virtual museum, like the Musée D’orsay.
- Go out for a night at the opera and stream a live show.
- Stream a live set from your favorite DJ.
- Watch the puppy playroom on live stream.
- Tune in to a live cooking class.
- Hike the Great Wall of China virtually
- Explore the Great Barrier Reef with David Attenborough.
No need to lose your monthly work happy hours to quarantine! Use the printable wine tasting card to pull off a virtual happy hour from home. Download it by clicking the button below.
Staying at home doesn’t have to be boring. A little bit of imagination mixed with these 97 fun things to do at home will allow you to find an activity for everyone (or yourself) while also staying thrifty.