Did you rush out to buy every new Harry Potter book the moment it was released? If you did, you probably didn’t care about how much you were spending – you just had to know what happened next!
These days, buying new books often means shelling out a good chunk of your monthly paycheck. If you love reading but hate the price stickers on new books, satisfying your reading addiction could be a challenge. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to save big on all your favorite reads – you just have to look in the right places!
We’ve rounded up some of the best ways to save money while fueling your reading addiction. From discount bookstores to neighborhood book swaps, these budgeting hacks will help satiate any bibliophile’s need to read.
Budget Tips for Book Lovers
When you think about saving money on books, you probably think of popular discount bookstores like Half Price Books. These shops are great places to get all your favorite reads on a budget, but there are plenty of other ways to save money on your reading addiction as well!
- Host a book swap with friends, family, or other local book lovers. Want more of a surprise? Try out sites like PaperBackSwap.com to trade reads with other avid readers from around the world.
- Use your local Little Free Library to share and trade books with your neighbors. There are over 100,000 book-sharing boxes around the world for you to find!
- Shop Thriftbooks’ collection of over 13 million titles. Be sure to check out their mobile app for an even easier shopping spree.
- Check out Goodwill and Salvation Army’s book stock. These resale retailers often have donated books, magazines, and children’s stories just waiting to be discovered.
- Try the Libby app to borrow and download thousands of free ebooks and audiobooks from local libraries across the country. The more library cards you have, the more great reads you’ll be able to snag!
- Join a subscription program to save big on your favorite reads. From used books to brand new YA novels, there’s a subscription box for every genre.
Top Deals for Reading Addicts
Can’t get enough books? These deals will help you stock up on all your favorite titles and authors, plus some new ones!
- Audible: Test out Audible for 30 days at no charge. The trial comes with your choice of one audiobook and two Audible Originals.
- Must-listen: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Ownes is a riveting listen perfect for passing the time while you work from home.
- AbeBooks.com: Get free shipping on new, used, out of print, and textbook titles with AbeBooks’ massive collection of books.
- Alibris: Save up to 80 percent on new releases and old classics.
- Must-read: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon combines historical fiction, romance, and fantasy into a gripping tale of adventure and love.
- Barnes and Noble: Barnes and Noble is always having great sales on everything from cookbooks to bedtime stories for children.
- BAM! Books a Million: Use promo code RNW7BR at checkout to take $10 off your order of $50 or more.
- Must-read: Every Breath You Take by Mary Higgins Clark is a suspenseful mystery that will have you reading late into the night.
- BookRenter: BookRenter is a great place to get reference materials and textbooks for students and educators.
- Bookbyte: Bookbyte helps students buy and sell textbooks. Find cheap textbooks for next semester and sell off old ones to fuel your reading addiction!
- Cengage Brain: Another great site for students and professionals, you can get free shipping on orders over $25 at Cengage.
- Discount Mags: More of a magazine addict? Use code DEALSEEKINGMOM for 20 percent off all your favorites at Discount Mags.
- Must-read: Elle Decor will give you great inspiration for sprucing up your home office.
- eBay: Everyone’s favorite used goods and low-cost shopping site has great deals on books, bagazines, and more.
- Kobo: Take $5 off your first ebook or audiobook at Kobo.
- Magazines.com: Use code CHIEF at checkout to take $5 off Magazines.com’s top titles!
- Must-read: Yoga Journal Magazine is the perfect solution if you can’t get to the yoga studio!
Saving Money on Your Reading Addiction
Reading is one of the most relaxing and rewarding hobbies there is, but funding a reading addiction isn’t always easy. In fact, the average hardcover fiction novel now costs over $27!
To help you budget for your books, check out this helpful infographic with tips and tricks to get your reading fix without breaking the bank.
Use these budgeting hacks to feed your reading addiction. Whether you’re a hardcover lover or audiobook junkie, these money-saving tips will help you avoid shelling out too much on your reading habit.