Goodbye winter, hello spring.
As the weather gets nicer and the temperatures get warmer, it’s time to enjoy the outdoors once again. If you’re looking to pack your schedule full of non-stop fun with family-friendly activities, then you’re in luck! There are so many different hobbies, games, and forms of entertainment to try with the whole family. You could spend the entire season trying new things, and still have some saved for next year. Here are our favorite outdoor activities you can enjoy all spring (and summer!) long.
In The Backyard
You don’t even have to leave the comfort of your own home to throw an awesome get-together this spring. While friends are optional for most of these activities, they are definitely recommended.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Potato Sack Race – An old, yet timeless, game that’s fun for all ages. Don’t assume this game is only for the kids… adults have a tendency to get extra-competitive when faced with a potato sack race (and this leads to endless laughs for everyone involved).
- Bocce – When was the last time you played Bocce with the whole family? (Don’t even know what Bocce is? Don’t worry… it’s extremely easy to learn!) This game will test your hand-eye coordination and put your ball throwing skills to the test.
- Frisbee Golf – While playing golf requires an expensive set of clubs, access to a well-maintained golf course, and possibly even membership to a country club… frisbee golf has none of those requirements. You can buy a kit and get it set up in your backyard in a matter of minutes. After that, it’s time to see who has the best aim with a frisbee. You’ll be surprised, this game is not as easy as it looks.
There are so many possibilities out there. Think outside the box when it comes to fun family activities, because the results of a great family-bonding event are priceless.
Here are a few of the more creative family activities:
- Giant Jenga – You’ve probably played jenga before on a table. But have you ever experienced outdoor “Giant Jenga?” If not, you’re really missing out! You can either pick up a pre-made set of ‘lifesize’ Jenga pieces, or make your own with some plywood and a healthy dose of woodworking skills. Instead of playing with your usual 1 foot tall Jenga tower, up the ante and play with a giant 6 foot tall tower.
- Artist For A Day – You don’t need an art degree to become the next Jackson Pollock. Here’s an awesome way to stimulate anyone’s artistic side: With just some old wood, canvas, or other paint-ready material… and a healthy selection of color choices… you can host an art party. Give everyone access to a variety of paint supplies and set a timer. Once the timer goes off, the person with the coolest art wins!
- The Book Marathon – Do you have a never-ending list of books you’ve been waiting to read? Well, now’s your chance! Reading outdoors in the warm weather is so much fun. This is also a great chance to help your children learn to love reading. Let everyone pick a few options from a big pile of books (preferably with a wide variety of genres to choose from)… and then embark on a journey. You could make this happen in your backyard, or for bonus points, head over to a park and set up an entire picnic area. Enjoy great homemade food, the fantastic weather, and an entertaining read at the same time.
There’s nothing that beats an all-inclusive family day spent outdoors. And as you’ve seen from our ideas, there are more than enough activities to keep you busy all spring long.
Family-friendly activities don’t have to be constrained to your local neighborhood. Pack some bags and hit the road… there are some seriously fun adventures waiting for you right outside your local area!
Go exploring this spring:
- Conquer A Mountain – Do you live near any mountains (or other cool outdoor terrain)? Do a quick online search and see if there are any interesting places to go hiking or camping near you. There’s a never-ending list of cool skills to teach, and fun activities to enjoy on a nature-filled adventure. Whether you’re more interested in seeing a beautiful sunset, or “roughing it” in a small tent over the weekend, there are more than enough options to choose from. Campfires, fishing, hiking… the list could go on and on. Who knows, maybe someone in your family will end up loving the outdoors after spending some quality time in nature.
- The Lazy River – Similar to the above, are there any nearby family-friendly rivers you can enjoy? All it takes are some inflatable tubes to ride, and some careful planning with a map… next thing you know, you’re slowly drifting down the river on a sunny weekend morning. Bring along refreshments and you’ve just taken this activity to a whole new level.
- The Park Crawl – Want to meet a bunch of new people and learn about your surroundings? Dedicate an entire day to exploring all of the parks in your local area. You’ll meet new people, experience and learn about some interesting local history, and enjoy the day. If you’re really up for an adventure, turn this into a road trip and you can visit places that are outside of your normal “bubble.” This is also a great option if you live in a city… take advantage of the opportunity to leave your normal fast-paced city surroundings and enjoy the stress-free life of nature.
Did you realize just how many options there are for warm-weather activities? It doesn’t matter what your interests are… when it comes to the outdoors, there’s something for everyone! Take some time off this spring to enjoy the finer things in life–family time, that is!
Was this the first time you’ve seen one of these activities? What’s your favorite family activity for the spring? Tell us in the comments below!